Friday 2 September 2011

Bank Holiday Madness...

Well, what an August Bank Holiday I had.  Up early on Saturday morning, gearing up for my book signing at Lancaster King Street Waterstones (where I met some lovely people, I might add), before jumping straight into the car and racing down to Brighton...  Oh yes, me and a friend excitedly headed south for a taste of the Brighton Mod Weekender, where we mingled with Mods, Modettes, journalists and photographers... and even encountered the odd celebrity or two! 

Of course, this was all to the envy of my other half who had to work over the weekend; somewhat unfortunate, considering he's the Mod of the family and not I.  Then again, it was work of sorts for me, too; I was, after all, meeting up with the lovely Mark Sargeant from Scootering Magazine. 

Still, I have to say we did make sure to have a good time in the process - basking in the glorious sunshine and soaking up the festival-like atmosphere, as we were... all the while admiring the vintage clothing on view, listening to great music and let's not forget, counting up the feather cuts.

However, for me, the main attraction of the event had to be the number of scooters on display - the amount of love and attention lavished on all these two wheeled vehicles plain to see.  And when it finally came to the ride out, the noise of revving engines, the smell of two stroke oil and the awesome sight as they set out, en mass, towards Beachy Head was just fantastic...  and all in all, the highlight of my visit.

Although to be fair and just in case you happen to be reading this, I should add that you did come in a very close second, Sarge...  

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Suzie! Waving from Missouri, USA. Ah, if we only had scooters galore over here. What we get, enmasse, is a flotilla of Harley-Davidsons, belching smoke almost as thick as the deafening roar as they roam from one festival to the next. I prefer four wheels to two, any day, although I am intrigued by the new CanAms, with two wheels up front, and driven by a single rear wheel. They are as stable as a car, and my wife and I would love to have one of them.
    Happy writing and reading!
    Pat Dale

    ReplyDelete